Dinner Locations in Schenectady I Want to Get Back to ASAP
- Marotta’s Bar-Risto. I had such a great experience the first time I went, from the classicly-beautiful touch of decoration on my drink to the de-flippin-licious Tortellini Marotta. I’m dreaming of that eggplant, sausage, broccoli and sun dried tomato party dancing in the marsala pesto cream sauce. My mouth is literally watering as I imagine that dish! Must get back there ASAP!
- The Van Dyke. It’s one of my FAVORITE spots in Schenectady, and I haven’t been in far too long. I especially enjoy when we take a trip on Wednesday evenings, when appetizers are half price during happy hour. We’ve made quite a few trips for work over the years to enjoy a dinner of shared starters – our favorites include the dip trio [I love the buffalo chicken, spinach artichoke and zesty guacamole!], mozzarella and pepperjack bites [the melba sauce is PERFECT], and the Olive & Cheese platter, which is my #1 favorite appetizer in all of Schenectady. Especially when enjoyed with my favorite Finlandia Grapefruit Vodka and soda – the Van Dyke is one of the only places I can find nearby which stocks it, and I like it 100 times better than Absolute Ruby Red. Plus, since the Van Dyke brews their own beer right on site and always has a long list of drafts flowing, my beer-drinking friends are always quite happy, too.
Dinner Locations in Schenectady on my CDNY Bucket List I Haven’t Tried Yet
- Zen Fusion Lounge. I basically just want to eat my way through the menu. Apparently Zen hosts Trivia Night on Wednesday – let’s build a team and make our way through the sushi and mojito menus over time! Who’s in?
- Tara Kitchen. I keep hearing awesome reviews of this place, which is known for it’s Moroccan cuisine. I’ve never gone out for Moroccan before and though I would have NO idea what to order, I’d love to step out of my comfort zone and try something completely new to me from this menu.
Schenectady Walking Tours in My Favorite Neighborhoods
- Stockade Historic District Cell Phone Walking Tour. I haven’t done this tour yet, but I’m planning to set a date to go this fall! [and locals want to join me?] The Stockade was designated New York State’s first Historic District and is FULL of history – including some PRESIDENTIAL!!!
- GE Realty Plot Tour. I’ve done this tour with a brochure and really loved getting to know a bit about the history of Schenectady. The GE Realty Plot was originally an undeveloped area owned by Union College which was sold to GE in the late 1800’s to help the college pay off a debt. Executives at GE divided the land, laid out streets and built houses. Each home was required to meet a minimum lot size and house value and two of the house were the first fully electric houses in the country which GE used as models.
Instagram Accounts to Follow for More Fun Stuff to Do In and Know About the Place Once Known as “The City that Lights and Hauls the World”
Summer Fruits I Just Won’t Quit
- Plums! Is it just me, or do these little globes of deliciousness seem to be extra plentiful this year? ALL the varieties of plums have been on sale a lot lately at our local markets and I am taking full advantage. Just a great mid-day sweet treat, usually paired with almonds or cheese for a protein boost, too.
- Do these Outshine Bars count? I bought a variety pack of the outshine fruit bars in strawberry, wildberry and lime as a cool me down treat for after hot summer runs, and now I’m dreaming of a freezer FULL of them. I’ve had [and LOVED!] the creamy coconut fruit bars several times before and I’m especially excited to try the fruit and VEGGIE bars ASAP – look at all the flavors they offer! There isn’t one of the list I don’t want to try! They ALL sound delicious: Outshine Fruit & Veggie Bars
Easy Ways I’m Getting Veggies in My Body
- Low Sodium V8. On days when it gets to be 3:00 and I realize I haven’t had one serving of veggies for the day yet, I add a serving of the vegetable juice to my afternoon snack.
- Using canned veggies in weeknight meals. On days I run after work, the last thing I want to do after stretching and showering is spend a good chunk of my evening cooking. I enjoy my time in the kitchen, but it does still feel like work to me. [but maybe that’s just because I’m making a mess that needs to be cleaned?]
Canned veggies are so convenient because there is little to no prep work, not to mention – you can shop sales and get great deals to stock up your pantry! The American Dietetic Association noted in a statement released in January 2006 that “canned …vegetables are good substitutes for fresh produce and sometimes maybe healthier.” The statement further indicated that canned tomatoes, corn, and carrots provide higher amounts of antioxidants than the fresh variety as a result of the canning process. [this and other information found here: Vegetable Debate: Fresh, Frozen or Canned?]
Easy Weeknight Dinners Made Using Dos Mamacitas Taco Meat
- Breakfast Burritos. With scrambled cheesy eggs, frozen Trader Joe’s hash browns, and cheese. I added a bit of my favorite barbeque sauce to mine for a flavor BOOM. Brinner for the win!
- Oven Quesadillas.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees while cooking and prepping your fillings of choice.
Brush one tortilla with oil and place on baking sheet, oil side down.
Layer cheese, other fillings of choice, and more cheese atop the tortilla.
Brush another tortilla with oil and place atop the pile, oil side up.
Bake in the oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes before serving. Easily slicable with a pizza cutter!
Oven Quesadilla Fillings of Choice
- Peppers & Onions. I’ve been going the uber-easy route and using the frozen mix from the grocery store. It takes 2-3 minutes to stir fry the already chopped pieces of onions and peppers, with none of the additional time to slice, chop and clean to get there. I’m much more likely to add these veggies to a meal on a weeknight having the prep work already done for me.
- Pineapple Salsa. I added a generous spoonful of the jar currently in the fridge. It added an awesome sweetness to the meal. Highly recommended.