Events Celebrated Last Week
- Completion of Physical Inventory at the office! There are still a couple of weeks of paperwork and filing to go, but we are on the other side of the very long work weeks and I’m thrilled about that!
- The 34th anniversary of my birth. Woot.
Celebration Dinners at Favorite Local Spots
- Johnnny’s Schenectady for Inventory Dinner with our team and the visiting auditors. A trio of cocktails were enjoyed alongside each course; a seasonal margarita cocktail with our appetizers of bruschetta and fried mozzarella, Tito’s and soda with my delicious dinner of Chicken Scarpariello, and decaf with Bailey’s with our shared dessert choice – Pear Orange Gelato Cake.
- Mohawk Tap Room for Birthday Eve Trivia. Nick and I had dinner, and my work friend Scott joined the table for trivia. It was 50% Sports-themed because of the NFL Draft and we did not do awesome. But we had a lot of fun and even though the cider keg kicked, they had Down East Cider in cans, so all was not lost.
Sweet Little Gifts I Can’t Stop Gushing Over
- Easter Pockets of tiny treasures. My mom’s best friend, Miss Judi, sent this sweet gift for Easter this year and I can’t get over the adorable concept. Each pocket is filled with a small treasure – stickers, decorative paper clips, shiny label tags, glittery trinkets, and tucked in a tiny gift bag in the center pocket, a coffee gift card.
- Birthday Flower Crown. My coworker Stephanie found the perfect #RainbowIsMyFavoriteColor headpiece for my birthday. I wore it all day at the office, including a trip to Jade Bistro for a celebratory sushi lunch, and several times throughout the weekend while I was a writing, cleaning, and watching TV.
Speaking of ROYGBIV…#RainbowIsMyFavoriteColor DIYs That Would Be Fun To Do this Summer
- Triangle Color Wall Art from Kate Bullen
- A rainbow striped Chevron Rug would be great addition to the entry door of THS HQ.
Selfish Little Food Gifts I Bought Myself this Weekend
- Heinz® BBQ Pitmaster Collection. I’m a lover of sauces for spreading and dipping and squirting and mixing, leaning heavily on mustards and bbq sauces for my favorite choices most often. I stumbled upon this four pack of flavored Heinz sauces and didn’t think twice before dropping it in the cart as I mumbled, “Happy Birthday, Heather….” to Nick as I moved on to the next aisle.
- Coconut Almond Hershey’s Kisses. These are rich and full of coconut flavor goodness. I highly recommend them if you are a fellow coconut fan.
Recipes I’ve Bookmarked to Feature a Pitmaster Collection Sauce
- Stovetop BBQ Chicken Shells and Cheese from How Sweet Eats. I’ve made this recipe a handful of times since Jess first shared it in 2012, and let me tell you – it’s a winner!! I think this pasta dish would be great with Kansas or Kentucky sauces, especially!
- BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos from Oh Sweet Basil would be mighty delicious with the Hawaiian BBQ Sauce from the collection. I want to partner a basket of warmed chips with a guacamole and salsa duo and serve with a pitcher of sangria for an easy Taco Tuesday dinner with friends.
- Old Journals. After taking off the month of April, I’m back at my #THSTheJesusYears projects, which has begun with a mission to transcribe my journals from my Bible Belt season
- Meg Wolitzer’s The Ten-Year Nap. I made very little progress in April, but I’m hoping to have more free time in May to finish this novel. It’s definitely not my favorite of her fiction I’ve read, but I’m not even 100 pages in yet and my experience with this author reminds me that my opinion could change at any minute.
Books I’m Eager to Start Next
- Alyssa Mastromonaco’s Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House. I received this memoir as a birthday gift from a friend who had just read it in a “can’t put it down or stop thinking about it” frenzy. After hearing her gush about how much she was loving her current read non-stop for a week, she really set me up to want to dive into this one the second I unwrapped it. It’s taking a bit of self control to finish my current book before starting this one.
- Jud Widing’s The Story of Uh. I won this coming of age novel in a Goodreads giveaway, and the book has been sitting on my desk since it first arrived. Several times this weekend I found myself flipping through the book in between computer tasks.