Oatmeal Cookie Recipes from Around the Web I Made During Our Recent Oatmeal Cookieathon
Special Ingredients Used in My Own Cookie Recipe
- Toasted Coconut
- Chopped Pecans
Runs Accomplished this Weekend
- 2.5 slow and steady miles on Saturday afternoon.
- Solo 5K on Sunday morning.
Happenings of Weekend Runs
- After about 1/3 of a mile into Saturday’s run, a tiny lost dog came running up to me. A neighbor approached me and asked if it was mine at the same time as I was asking if it was hers. A 3 minute search of knocking on nearby doors continued until finally a very tall man approached, thanking us endlessly. It kind of threw me off my game for the rest of the run and I couldn’t find a comfortable pace. I did manage to run one mile without stopping, recover, and run a second mile without stopping, though, so that boosted my running confidence a bit.
- I started out my 5K run, which was on the course I want to PR on this July, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast, and really struggled through mile two. My splits were 10:04, 12:26, and 11:34. 11:17 average pace overall. I was really impressed with my first mile, though, considering I walked .05 in the middle to catch my breath, and tackled the biggest hill of the course during mile 1. Booyah!
Best Veggies of the Weekend
- Mushrooms. Next to caramelized onions, cooked mushrooms are a favorite meal ingredient of mine. I sprayed a skillet with coconut oil spray and sautéed the mushrooms over medium for several minutes. These were used in many dishes over the weekend, but were especially tasty on top of our burgers on Saturday evening.
- The mixture of red onion, snap peas, and fresh cut pineapple in the Sweet and Sour Chicken dish from my favorite cookbook was AMAZING. I’ve never prepared onions in this way (steamed then pan fried) before and totally loved the light flavor and crunch they provided to the dish.
Weekend Meal Prep Making Healthy Choices Extra Easy this Week
- Fannetastic Food’s Scrambled Egg Muffins have always been a favorite of mine for batch cooking. I’ve recently fallen into a “coffee and breakfast from the corner store” routine over the past several weeks, and know that I could afford to add some healthy choices to the start of my day. I made a dozen full sized and a dozen mini sized scrambled egg muffins on Sunday afternoon but changed up the mix ins from Anne’s recipe. I used the above mentioned mushrooms, tomatoes and basil with an Italian cheese blend. Cheers to a healthy, still-easy to eat at my desk breakfast!
- I made extra grains and veggies with Sunday’s dinner to eat as repurposed sides and lunches throughout the week.
Impulse Buys During my CVS Trip
- Burt’s Bees Hydrating Lip Balm with Coconut and Pear. Umm…this stuff smells (and tastes?) amazing and leaves my lips feeling so soft and smooth.
- Twizzlers Mixed Berry Bites. The texture of these is definitely softer than traditional Twizzler bites, as advertized on the package, and though I prefer the original texture of the cherry bites, I dig all the flavors in this package. These will make great mid-long-run fuel this summer, for sure!
Online Viewing I Highly Recommend
- Playing House, with comedy writing superduo, Jessica St. Clair and Lennon Parham. I’ve been fans of theirs for a while now, and was pop-culture-devastated that BFF’s, their last sitcom project, lasted only 6 episodes. Tune into this wonderfully hilarious, and appropriately inappropriate show, STAT.
- America in Primetime on Netflix. Major props to Kelly for pointing me to this WONDERFUL mini-series on the history of television characters in America over the decades. This was perfect.