Time for another look at what I’m hoping for this weekend:Weekend Cravings! [If you don't know Katy, the lovely lady behind the Weekend Cravings craze, check out her blog. She's a darling woman with a heart threaded in kindness and gentleness, and a soul moved by beautiful noise and inspirational stories. I cherish her, and I bet you'll dig her, too!]
I’m currently typing in the dark of a hotel room in downtown Chicago, my sister Melissa asleep in the bed next to me. [I’m sure she’s loving the pitter patter of the keys – it’s like white noise, right?]
I’m uber excited to be in Chicago with my sister and parents for the weekend! [am also v. excited for the upcoming trip to Dallas to spend Christmas with my parents, Melissa, and my little brother, Rob, in Denton. I haven’t been home for the holidays the past two years, which makes this one feel extra special! ]
Here’s what I’m craving while we’re here in sweet home Chicago.
- Early morning light outside our window reminded me that the world has yet to end. I’m thinking another photo walk focusing on light may be a fun weekend activity!
- Time with the Shugarmans! Today we’re going to celebrate at my Grandparents house in southern Wisconsin. [in which I am guessing there is tons of snow!] On the agenda: eat, drink, be merry, take lots of photos, eat more, drink more, etc.
- Tomorrow is the Burton Christmas; the annual celebration that my Maternal Grandfather, my Great Uncle and their Cousins put together each year; It’s three generations [I’m the oldest of the youngest generation] and it’s always so much fun hanging out with such a large group of Burtons. We play games, eat great food, share cocktails and stories, and do a-whole-lot of laughing. It’s been a decade since I’ve been to one of these gatherings and I’m super excited to get to see everyone. Especially the “kids” in my generation who are all now mini-adults
- A visit with Miss Judi, my mom’s best friend. She’s one of my most favorite people on the planet and it’s been way too long since I’ve hugged that woman!! [as a matter of fact, it was in September 2011, the last family trip to Chicago!]
- List making for next weekend’s meals. For Nick’s birthday, he asked that we watch all three original Star Wars movies with our friends Emma and Andrei. [note: I have seen none of them.] I’m making a menu of lots of Nick’s favorite dishes for us to enjoy throughout our movie marathon – breakfast pizza, lots of snacks and dips, buffalo chicken mac and cheese, peanut butter banana crème pie… I need to get organized, make grocery shopping lists, a cooking schedule, and the like.
- Great Chicago food. Since my parents grew up in Chicago, and we lived here until I was 12, my family has a SERIOUS love for certain dishes popular in the area. We had pizza last night [deep dish AND thin crust, thank you very much] and I’ve got a little check list all set for my “musts!” before we leave.
- A smooth flight to Dallas come 9:30 PM, Sunday night.
What about you? What are you craving this weekend?