1. This morning, two people wished me a “Happy President’s Day” and I replied first with “Thank You!” as if it was my birthday, rather than “you, too!” being today is a shared holiday. Oops.
2. We’re celebrating at the office with POTUS Chocolate PB Fudge Cake: a layered double chocolate chip fudge cake with layers of peanut butter buttercream and vanilla peanut butter frosting.
Savvy Julie: What makes it POTUS?
Heather: It’s President’s Day.
Turns out POTUS Chocolate PB Fudge Cake also works pretty well as Mom’s Belated Birthday Cake when shared with Nicholas and the parents over the weekend
3. Not exactly anything Presidential, but speaking of Savvy Julie, guess who is coming to visit this weekend? Last week, Julie found out she has a meeting out this way, and she’ll be so much closer than usual that she’ll be driving the extra hour to come by for a little visit. HOORAY! Put on the tea kettle and get out the crafts – it’s time for a girly weekend up in here.
4. This one is a favorite, and must be shared again, even though it’s Monday:
5. Five Favorite Presidential Fun Facts:
- President James Buchanan quietly but consistently bought slaves in Washington, D.C., and then set them free in Pennsylvania.
- After President Bush Sr. vomited on the Japanese Prime Minister, a new word entered the Japanese language. Bushusuru means “to do the Bush thing,” or to publicly vomit.
- James Garfield could write Latin with one hand and Greek with the other hand simultaneously.
- Every so often, Calvin Coolidge would press all the buttons on the President’s desk and hide and watch his staff run in. He would then pop out from behind the door and say that he was just seeing if everyone was working
- Gerald Ford was both vice president and president without being elected by the people. He was appointed vice president when Spiro Agnew resigned and he succeeded to the presidency when Nixon resigned.
6. Six things I’m doing to celebrate President’s Day 2012:
Tweeting our #presidentialfunfacts
Reading Citizen and Chief: The Second Lives of the American Presidents
Sending a letter to the White House
Watching The West Wing on DVD
Collecting quotations by Presidents for my journal of inspiration and motivation
Listening to my Presidential Playlist, which includes this favorite diddy from the Animaniacs [oh, lookie! the lyrics scroll on this video so you can sing-a-long!!]:
More fun presidential posts you may enjoy: