Earlier this week, we started embracing our inner procrastinator. Melissa, Viv, and Nienke each shared tutorials for simple items to either warm up your own celebrations or share with a loved one as a last minute gift for a loved one. I reminded you that the kitchen is the best place to create gifts at the last minute, and showed you a great way to present treats as a gift. If you still haven’t gotten your act together and are looking for something wonderful to put together for a very special woman in your life, you’ve come to the right place.
Fabric Flower Brooch Tutorial
Fabric, cut into strips
Hot Glue gun with glue sticks, or tack glue
Brooch/Pin Back (I found a pack of 40+ at a craft supply store for $2-$3, similar to those found here)
1. Tie a knot at one end of a fabric strip.
2. Add a small dot of glue, and begin to wrap long end of strip around the knot. I use the small end of the knot as a safe place to hold the flower, keeping my fingers glue free.
3. Continue to wrap fabric around knot, adding glue every so often to assure the flower formation stays together.
5. Glue on a brooch/pin back. Let dry.
* Bring in some contrast: Cluster a few of the flowers together and add a felt or paper backing before adding the back.
* Go Green: Use old shirts, jeans, or other materials that are not suitable for donating. I used a pair of jeans which had one legs worth of usable fabric.
* Add some variety: Use a piece of ribbon or lace in lieu of fabric.